I am 100% a breakfast person. If I don’t get my breakfast I am a horrible person.
That being said, I made the decision last week to give up eating bread for breakfast, that bagel every day was getting a little excessive. So now my breakfast is one smoothie! Lately it’s been a green smoothie cobbled together with a bunch of random fruits.
However, this wasn’t really cutting the mustard. My job is fairly active (i.e no sitting down) so I normally get hungry again around 10-11 after my 6:40am breakfast. Cue the snacking. Not so great.
Then two things happened:
The Rebel Kitchen crew blew up all over my Instagram. Anyone who sells a Chai coconut mylk is gonna be my friend for life.
I found Kathy Patalsky’s post on vegan protein powders for smoothies.
After reading the natural choice for me I was the Vega One powder, I wanted to sample before I committed so I found some cheap packets of the chocolate flavour online.
Vega can boast an impressive set of credentials:
15g of protein (that’s the same as 2.7 eggs!), 6g fibre, 1 billion probiotics, 3 servings of vegetables, 1.5g of omega-3, antioxidants equivalent to 2.7 cups of blueberries and 50% of your RDI of vitamins and minerals.
It’s sweetened with stevia so it doesn’t give you that nasty sugar crash that refined sugar can.
When I was drinking this shake this morning I said to my fiance – this tastes like it’s bad for me. I’m really happy to say it isn’t!
- Rebel Kitchen’s Chocolate Orange Mylk (200ml) or 200ml of chocolate soy or almond milk + 2tbsps orange juice
- 1 packet of Vega One Chocolate powder
- 1 Frozen banana
- Toppings (optional): cacao nibs, orange slices, walnuts etc.
- Blend all ingredients on high.
- Pour into a glass and top with cacao nibs.
- DON’T FORGET TO CHEW YOUR SMOOTHIE – this helps get your body ready for digestion and means a happy healthier tum!